resting, brining and processing-- 60 birds

RGreenfamily

Chirping
5 Years
May 19, 2015
We are butchering 65 birds on Friday- 50+ cornish rocks (9 weeks) and 10 barred rocks (6 mo). Clearly, i cannot fit 60 birds in the fridge to rest. So would this work?

Butcher and clean everyone. Use coolers and my big 30L feed barrel, filled with ice and salt water to rest them for 2 days (adding ice to keep temp down) then bag and shrink wrap as well as portion and vacuum seal the parted birds- then freeze.

I really want to let these birds rest and be tender after all the work but hadn't thought through the room issues of the fridge with so many birds.

I am assuming that I cannot shrink wrap/vacuum seal the birds and then refrigerate them for resting, correct? or can i?

Thank you in advance for any help. This is the coolest group online for information!

leigh

That will work. I've kept birds in a salty ice bath for many days.
You can definitely shrink wrap before refrigeration for the rest period. You can even rest after thawing but I think it is better before freezing.

Good job on having the ambition to do 60 + birds. Too ambitious for me.
When I have a lot of meaties, I usually do a batch at 3.5 to 4 weeks as Cornish game hens. That makes the final job easier.

Last edited:
I'd be nervous resting birds in brine that long. I soak for up to 24 hours and don't use a heavy solution of salt. I've forgotten birds in brine before and could barely eat them as they were far too salty. My mix is 7 weighed ounces of salt per gallon of water.

Back
Top Bottom