Turkey price suggestions

flansbd

Hatching
Apr 25, 2016
I have over a dozen broad breasted turkeys, both white and bronze. I have been feeding them for over a year and they are all pretty big. I am looking to sell them but I don't know how much to ask for. I know I won't be able to recoup my feed cost in them but what is the going rate for broad breasted turkeys? I am pretty sure the toms are at least 35-40 lbs and the hens are probably between 25-30 lbs. I am in Texas if that makes a difference. Thanks.

*Also they have been free ranged with their diet supplemented to put on weight and I have heard that they are more flavorful when they are over a year, is that true?

I would sell them for $20.00 - $30.00 a piece. I got my female turkey for $20.00 when she was about 7 months old. I'm just saying what I have seen other sellers and me sell turkeys for even though I hardly sell any of my birds.

Thanks for the suggestion! I have them listed for $35 for the hens and $45 for the toms right now and compared to turkey meat prices I found on the market my prices are pretty low. But if I don't get any takers I'll lower the price or ask for offers. I normally don't sell my animals either but I don't have the time to process them all and they are driving up my feed costs because they eat so much! There definitely isn't any profit to be made in the adult turkey business. haha

Have you looked into taking them to a local auction?
In my area there are 3-4 weekly auctions where individuals can sell poultry/livestock. They deduct an auction fee (20% around here) but the last few toms I took sold for about $40ea (net to me $32ea) and no worry about Craigslist strangers coming around the farm.

We do have an auction around here and I have considered it. However, I have never been there and I don't have a trailer or anything to transport them all. I may just take them 2 or 3 at a time if I can't get a decent price from someone on our local online livestock page. Thanks for the suggestion!

Back
Top Bottom