Royal Palm female I think has club foot

Heather02

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2016
RI
Hi Everyone,
I have three Royal palm turkeys that I bought from a auction Last Sunday 1 male and 2 females one of me females looks like she has clubfoot. the middle finger is thicker then the other foot and she walks on the top of her foot instead of the bottom, she can bend it to perch, but it does not bend flat to walk on. She seams healthy and its does not look like it's bothering her, she just limps a bit. I don't no how old she is, she looks young and I have not gotten eggs yet. but that might be due to the fact that they are in a new place and need to settle first. is this something a splint could fix? These are my first turkeys and any advice that anyone has would be great.
Thank you
Heather

Are these poults or adults? If adults there's not much you can do. It's thought improper incubation causes twisted toes in poultry, another theory is bad nutrition.

They are adults, I did not hatch or raise them, I just got my first egg a few days ago but only one still hoping for more.

Laying is a good sign they are settling in and feeling comfortable. Most turkey hens lay every 2-3 days until they go broody.

Update on the turkeys, the female with the club foot, she has been walking on it and seams to walk normal now, sometimes she walks on the top usually in the morning when I first let her out. and my other female she just lay her first clutch of eggs, I counted ten but she might have more, she's mad at me right now and hisses b/c I had to move her nest due to the fact it was outside and I have a Coyote, and Hawk Prob. and my Male is great he loves to flirt with the chickens that are in their pen. Is there anything special to do for my momma turkey or the babies when they hatch? Any advice would help.
Thank you

My only attempt at hen hatching didn't go well and I pulled the poults, so I can't help too much on that question. Those broody hens sure can get feisty.

Back
Top Bottom