Chic started zipping around 10 last night, no progress since

jwainscott1

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2016
I saw the pip around noon, then around 10pm chick started to zip some. Now there hasn't been a change. Should I be concerned at this point or is this normal?

It can happen but it's not normal. Often there is a rest period after pip but once zipped it should pop out in a few hours. In my experience with these instances invariably the chick has become stuck to the membrane. They are all cramped in the shell and if a small area starts to stick they really can't move enough to break free. When this occurs is late in hatch, the humidity has been jumping all around from others hatching so the album in shell turns to glue. If this sounds like your situation go ahead and assist. Be prepared to use 90-100F water in bowl to wash the chick as clean as you can before putting back in incubator or under heat lamp in brooder. The last to hatch on my last hatch was tedious washing and getting gunk from wing so it moved freely. Rest of inside shell was perfect, for some reason side of face, wing and part of back was glue. There was no way he'd make in on his own. Was zipped for a good 8 hours when I finally took him out.

Cation not to get water around/in mouth and nostrils when your bathing and lightly rubbing it clean. If your doing this also make sure to clean the butt very well. Any glue or obstruction there will lead to pasty butt and future attention. If your washing, get the butt clean for good measure.

Last edited:
I peeled some of the egg shell back. The membrane that had been exposed was dry. I used warm water and my finger to moisten it. The membrane tore a hair and there was a slight bit of blood so I wrapped in wet paper towel leaving beak exposed. Now I am really freaking out.

Don't freak. Just don't pull off the membrane. With chick in bowl of 90-100F water (as your holding it with head up) or holding over the bowl continue to gently rub the membrane/glue. Dip finger(s) in water and rub, Don't stop or you'll lose any ground gained. That small amount of warm water constantly applied will sooner than you think loosen the membrane and glue. It will practically fall right off as your gently rubbing. If it rolls off to point and stops keep rubbing water and don't force it. Think wallpaper. You don't peel it or it tears the substrate. It must get unstuck first then it practically falls off. Stay the course and it will only take a few minutes. If a part of body is glued get it unstuck, clean the butt. You don't need everything gone but all body parts need to move freely and that butt needs to be clean.

Ok I rub around the whole top came loose, it seems like maybe hasn't asorbed the yolk? I am not positive, the was a clear thick liquid on the edge so I put piece over that small area and wrapped in wash cloth and put back in. It has been 27 or more hours since first pip.

It's out of shell and no membrane on it now right? Don't wrap it up, let it dry out and move about if it wants. I'm not getting the need to keep wrapping it. The idea if your assisting is to get the job done. If the bird zipped and was stuck then you did the right thing to assist. Get it out and clean off the gunk so it can dry out and be a chick. There is thick liquid in bottom of shell. That's very normal and what chicks drown from if piped and egg rolls over. I don't keep chicks in incubator once hatched. They cause a lot of problems. Let it dry off in the brooder once it's active or right now. Don't wrap it up- cleaned up and let dry off.

Last edited:
It is not out of the shell. Just the air sack area is off. There was a thick liquid at the edge that I'm not sure if it is yolk. I dont want to take off the rest of the shell if it hasn't asorbed the yolk.

So I don't need to worry about the thick liquid and need to continue? Currently the top quarter is off the shell. Sorry I am just scared of causing death. This if my first egg to hatch.

Chick is fully out of shell, seems to be a little yolk on the umbilical cord. Back in the bator with small piece of shell that the yolk? is laying on.

Back
Top Bottom