I have a question about my broody hen

dg14

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 1, 2014
So because shes broody, her egg production has stopped temporarily, right? so i shouldnt expect any eggs from her?

Yes, She was mothering a golf ball. crazy girl. lol. shes not mean at all she lets me get the eggs from under her (there not even hers which is the funny part. lol)

Oh wow. so about 4 weeks form now? dang.. well i guess hens bodies need breaks too so im not complaining ill still get 3 or 4 a day :D

If you don't want her to hatch out chicks, best to break her promptly.

My experience went like this: After her setting for 3 days and nights in the nest, I put her in a wire dog crate with smaller wire on the bottom but no bedding, set up on a couple of 4x4's right in the coop and I would feed her some crumble a couple times a day.

I let her out a couple times a day and she would go out into the run, drop a huge turd, race around running, take a vigorous dust bath then head back to the nest... at which point I put her back in the crate. Each time her outings would lengthen a bit, eating, drinking and scratching more and on the 3rd afternoon she stayed out of the nest and went to roost that evening...event over, back to normal tho she didn't lay for another week or two.
Water nipple bottle added after pic was taken.

Back
Top Bottom