Blood Vessels and Blood ring?

LilBantams

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2016
I candled my eggs on day 6 and some of them seemed to have a blood ring, but also had blood vessels. I don't know what this means? I'm new at incubation and I know that the blood ring means that the embryo has died, but in this circumstance does it mean something different? I am going to candle again tomorrow, on day 10 to see how they all are doing and throw out the ones that are not fertile and are not developing, but I would like to know what this means.

Honestly it takes a lot of experience to candle eggs at 6 days. You should be able to tell much better at 10 days what is going on. Have you checked the Learning Center yet, there are a few threads in there that show candling pictures, look in the Hatching Eggs and Raising Chicks section (The Hatching 101 article is great as well).

I candled my eggs on day 6 and some of them seemed to have a blood ring, but also had blood vessels. I don't know what this means? I'm new at incubation and I know that the blood ring means that the embryo has died, but in this circumstance does it mean something different? I am going to candle again tomorrow, on day 10 to see how they all are doing and throw out the ones that are not fertile and are not developing, but I would like to know what this means.
Sometimes the first sign of development (the blood island) can appear as a blood ring to the newbie. It's a circular vessel/vein on the yolk of the egg that will encompass the development. Veining will be seen as well. Usually once a true blood ring forms the veining is almost non existent and will cease to exist at all.

I'll share the link to the thread I use for candling comparision. It has excellent day by day pics.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...g-candling-pics-progression-though-incubation

Sometimes the first sign of development (the blood island) can appear as a blood ring to the newbie. It's a circular vessel/vein on the yolk of the egg that will encompass the development. Veining will be seen as well. Usually once a true blood ring forms the veining is almost non existent and will cease to exist at all.

I'll share the link to the thread I use for candling comparision. It has excellent day by day pics.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...g-candling-pics-progression-though-incubation
Yes :) I candled again at day 10 and all the eggs that had the veins and "blood ring" were actually developing embryos! Only 6 eggs i had to weed out because they were not fertile.

Back
Top Bottom