I have 2 hens that are always together. 1 is dying.

scungilli

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 27, 2013
Hello all. I am so upset. We have 2 hens and 1 will be put down tonight. They are inseparable. BFF"S. Now my large Barred rock "Monster"will be alone and I'm assuming very sad. She does everything with Red by her side. Now what? Can I put her with my 5 bantam hens? They have never been together. I'm afraid she would hurt them. Please help. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
I have seen my hens get depression when a close friend dies. She may or may not react that way. You could pen her next to your bantam for a few weeks than see how she gets along with them.

I thought my rhode Island red by now would have passed but she is still walking around with her head down. I have tried everything to help her. her abdomen is swollen. I drained it soaked her in warm baths. check for egg inside. gave her antibiotic. When do you say it's time to put her down?

Last edited:
I thought my rhode Island red by now would have passed but she is still walking around with her head down.  I have tried everything to help her.  her abdomen is swollen. I drained it soaked her in warm baths. check for egg inside.  gave her antibiotic.  When do you say it's time to put her down? 
If it appears to be suffering, than it's time. If you are wondering if it's behavior indicates suffering than it probably is. I give mine a week to improve, most sick chickens don't get better.

If it appears to be suffering, than it's time. If you are wondering if it's behavior indicates suffering than it probably is. I give mine a week to improve, most sick chickens don't get better.
Agreed - I'd put her down if she were mine. Sometimes the hardest thing for us is the kindest thing for our animals.

Back
Top Bottom