Rooster wandered in my yard!

beccaWA

Songster
9 Years
Feb 22, 2012
Eastern WA
I have hens, but we're not allowed roosters. This guy wandered in my yard. I posted lost/found on Craigslist.

Any idea what breed this is? Game bird? Ameracauna? Easter Egger?

Thanks!

Thanks! I forgot to mention, he is only about as tall as my hens and much slimmer. Looks like he is young, only has tiny spurs.

Not sure but he is a beautiful bird. When you said you are not allowed roosters does that you are not or where you live is not? I'm stupid so sorry if that was a stupid question or I misread that

From the second pic it looks like he is a mini roo but I don't think he is cause in the other pics he looks big/ normal roo size.

Our suburban type city we are not allowed roosters. So... whoever had him did not have him legally! I've never had roosters, but yes he appears small compared to my Australorp hens. He is only as tall as they are at their backs, and slimmer. Roosters with that much feathering like he has would generally be much bigger than the hens???

Maybe he's a banty? Or are gamefowl small? I'd hate if he was gamefowl. :-( At any rate, I'm going to have to do something with him, as I can't legally keep him.

So after setting eggs in the incubator we now hae 10 chicks from eggs from the three laying Easter Eggers we recently purchased. The farm had a few roos, but we did not see a naked neck roo, but there must have been one. At first I thought I messed something up when 7 out of the 10 hatched partially bald, lol. AftER asking questions here I have been enlightened and am now the proud mama of some naked neck chickens, haha. Maybe some will be green egg laing naked necks even.

Almost 1 1/2 weeks old. Anyone want to venture any guesses on how many girls we might have?

#4-turkey vulture anyone? Lol

#10 last to hatch, treating for spraddle leg, and the runt.
Mother's are the buff and blue Easter Eggers here

2 of the non naked necks are getting a muff like their mothers already. :) so cute!!
We can't keep them all in our suburban back yard. I NEED a small farm near Harrisburg. Anyone know of any, let me know so we can keep all these babies, ;-)
Best guesses on sex of these about 1 1/2 week olds?

So after setting eggs in the incubator we now hae 10 chicks from eggs from the three laying Easter Eggers we recently purchased. The farm had a few roos, but we did not see a naked neck roo, but there must have been one. At first I thought I messed something up when 7 out of the 10 hatched partially bald, lol. AftER asking questions here I have been enlightened and am now the proud mama of some naked neck chickens, haha. Maybe some will be green egg laing naked necks even.

Almost 1 1/2 weeks old. Anyone want to venture any guesses on how many girls we might have?

#4-turkey vulture anyone? Lol

#10 last to hatch, treating for spraddle leg, and the runt.
Mother's are the buff and blue Easter Eggers here

2 of the non naked necks are getting a muff like their mothers already. :) so cute!!
We can't keep them all in our suburban back yard. I NEED a small farm near Harrisburg. Anyone know of any, let me know so we can keep all these babies, ;-)
Best guesses on sex of these about 1 1/2 week olds?

Too young for me to tell their sexes, but 2 and 3 are cuties!!!

I think I figured out the mystery.

I did a bunch of research (who knew there were so many types of chickens!).

I believe he is a standard size Old English Gamefowl, birchen in color.

We'll see how it goes. Any signs of aggression, he's gone!

Thanks to all who replied!

Back
Top Bottom