What gender are my 6 chicks

Chicken Egg 17

Songster
Dec 11, 2015
McVeytown PA
Hello I have six baby chicks fro,m tractor supply and they are all doing well the four brown and black ones are bantams so if possible can someone tell me the breed and the white ones are silkies but I relise that the silkies are probably to early to tell yet but I would still like to know what some people think. They are all about a month and a half old some of them have the bright red wattles so I am thinking rooster but there surly isn't that many roosters one I am most definaltly sure is a rooster it's the black one that is turning like an brown orangy color he was picking up food like my rooster does and making some noise that sounds like my rooster when he calls his lady's over when he found them something to eat. Any help is greatly appreciated.

The top one I was thinking hen then the next one I was thinking roo the next one he first brown one I am thinking rooster, then there is the smaller brown one I am thinking hen, then the first black one this is the one I was saying about it calling the others over to the food, then the next black one I am very confused this one dosnt have the bright red wattles and he did the other day and he fights with every other chick so I was thinking roo but now I am not to sure. Thanks in advance

Last edited:
All sexes will do the fighting thing. Where they stretch their necks out, and puff up their chest. ;) But I am thinking the fifth one is a rooster. The Silikes are too early to tell.

Ya I wasn't to sure on that one especially but they all seem like roosters to me but two of them but I know that surly isn't true so someone is trying to hide from me I was going to separate them maybe idk yet but being that last one fights with everyone I had that one separated last evening

They have some attitudes, that's for sure! I hold the one that keeps doing that above the chicks, for about 30 seconds. Watch it after I set it down, and if it does it again, hold it again. Kinda like "embarrassing or shaming" them. Seems to work most of the time. Even when it(they) aren't fighting, I will still pick it up and let them know in some way, I am the queen of the flock and they must obey me and fear me :D I know they aren't dogs and can't be trained very well, but sometimes crazy things work! I still talk to them in that puppy voice ;)

Hello I have six baby chicks fro,m tractor supply and they are all doing well the four brown and black ones are bantams so if possible can someone tell me the breed and the white ones are silkies but I relise that the silkies are probably to early to tell yet but I would still like to know what some people think. They are all about a month and a half old some of them have the bright red wattles so I am thinking rooster but there surly isn't that many roosters one I am most definaltly sure is a rooster it's the black one that is turning like an brown orangy color he was picking up food like my rooster does and making some noise that sounds like my rooster when he calls his lady's over when he found them something to eat. Any help is greatly appreciated.

The top one I was thinking hen then the next one I was thinking roo the next one he first brown one I am thinking rooster, then there is the smaller brown one I am thinking hen, then the first black one this is the one I was saying about it calling the others over to the food, then the next black one I am very confused this one dosnt have the bright red wattles and he did the other day and he fights with every other chick so I was thinking roo but now I am not to sure. Thanks in advance
silkies #1is a possible cockerel, but too soon to know 4 sure

I was for sure that one is a hen but u never know with that breed that was just how he was standing because of trying to get back in the tote with the others so he gave up and was standing gaurd being by himself

Last edited:
They have some attitudes, that's for sure! I hold the one that keeps doing that above the chicks, for about 30 seconds. Watch it after I set it down, and if it does it again, hold it again. Kinda like "embarrassing or shaming" them. Seems to work most of the time. Even when it(they) aren't fighting, I will still pick it up and let them know in some way, I am the queen of the flock and they must obey me and fear me :D I know they aren't dogs and can't be trained very well, but sometimes crazy things work! I still talk to them in that puppy voice ;)

Yes I brought my two older baby chicks inside to sleep with them to get used to them being that those ones will be going outside to soon so they are having a sleep over the little ones are like those giants are gonna eat me!!!!
1f602.png
1f414.png
1f425.png

Here is a pic of my two older ones that brown one is a cock and the black one is a hen

For some reason when they were in here and little they wanted nothing to do with the heat light as they got feather but now they love it just like my big hens I had the heat light in the coop for my egg bound hen and they were all under it with there wing spread out soaking up the light like they do in the sun but now that's it's been getting warmer out they are panting so bad like they never seen summer before well three of them haven't two of my neighbors have chickens and they killed a fox because it killed how many of there birds. And I gave them my rooster I was trying to get rid of he was still maturing and so now I wish I hadn't because he is the most eye candy rooster I have ever seen so when I gave him to them he was a really light color and now he is bright shiny blackish brown like a Rhode Island Red but he is a Rhode Island Red EE mix but I geuss he took after his mommy

Last edited:
O and the pic with that cage looking thing there isn't how much space they have all the time I just put that there to get a pic of them and to separate the ones I took pics of and haven't took pics of

Back
Top Bottom