What is wrong with this baby?

Bawk2theFuture

Songster
Mar 31, 2016
Galveston, TX
A couple days ago I noticed one of my chicks her eye was crusted shut so I gently washed it and got it open again now the feathers all around her eye are crusty and kind of matted to her face. I called up Tractor Supply to see what they thought I should do and they told me to come in and get some vetericyn ophthalmic gel. So we ran down there and got it and I've been using it 2 to 3 times a day since Sunday. But now I'm noticing that she's shaking her head a lot like almost like a nervous tic. Also, opening her mouth really wide like she's yawning right after she does her head shaking. I'm really worried about her. Anyone have any idea what this could be? Because the people at Tractor Supply told me that this is probably just a result of a pecking injury.

Last edited:
Is the baby kept outside or inside? Might of originally had something in it's eye, and now it's progressed to infection. Maybe extra vitamins to give it's immune system a boost. Just an idea, I haven't had eye injuries yet ( thankfully )

Is the baby kept outside or inside? Might of originally had something in it's eye, and now it's progressed to infection. Maybe extra vitamins to give it's immune system a boost. Just an idea, I haven't had eye injuries yet ( thankfully )

She's kept indoors. I'm keeping an eye on her and giving her vitamins in her water. If it gets worse I'm going to give her tetracycline...hopefully I don't have to because she's kinda young
1 week old today

Back
Top Bottom