Salmonella

Bree47

Hatching
May 4, 2016
So I got some chicks about 5 weeks ago and my 3 month old tested positive for it and now that he's better and I have confirmed it was the chicks how do I treat them and/or their coop/lot?

bleach the coop and keep them out of it, and make sure hands are thoroughly washed after contact with the birds, if they are kept clean and you wash your hands often it shouldn't happen.

Has your doctor given advice about preventing it from happening again? Children do need to have hands washed well before and after visiting chickens. For young children their parents should help them. Also no kissing the chicks.

Be aware that Salmonella can also be spread through contaminated objects. I would be careful about getting your clothes dirty in the coop and then picking up your toddler, or bringing in items from the coop and setting them down in the kitchen (refilling water bottles or taking out containers of compost to the coop and then putting them in the sink). I have seen cases where the parent never gets sick, but brings Salmonella home to their toddlers (http://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/2011/lab-exposure-1-17-2012.html). I agree with other posters about good hand washing and not letting your little one have direct contact with the coop or chickens. Also, wash your hands well before preparing or serving food.

I think it is good to assume your chickens always have Salmonella and maintain good hygiene.

Last edited:
Be aware that Salmonella can also be spread through contaminated objects. I would be careful about getting your clothes dirty in the coop and then picking up your toddler, or bringing in items from the coop and setting them down in the kitchen (refilling water bottles or taking out containers of compost to the coop and then putting them in the sink). I have seen cases where the parent never gets sick, but brings Salmonella home to their toddlers (http://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/2011/lab-exposure-1-17-2012.html). I agree with other posters about good hand washing and not letting your little one have direct contact with the coop or chickens. Also, wash your hands well before preparing or serving food.

I think it is good to assume your chickens always have Salmonella and maintain good hygiene.

X2 This is the best advice.

There is nothing you can do to "cure" your flock of Salmonella. We should all practice good hand washing and be aware that anything that contacts chicken poop should not be around a young child.

But, all commercial poultry have Salmonella in the USA and that's why all products carry the safe handling warnings.

Back
Top Bottom