Should I Ration my Chickens food?

neetabeamie

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 26, 2014
Teton City Idaho
Should I ration my chickens food or just let them eat as much as they want out of the feeder then refill it?
That is what I have been doing. I read about how you are supposed to ration your ducks feed when they start laying so I was wondering if this was true for chickens as well?

I don't do ducks, but chickens should have a balanced food in their feeder free choice. Limiting treats is a good idea. Cornishx meat birds might do better with some food restriction, but that's a separate issue. Mary

Should I ration my chickens food or just let them eat as much as they want out of the feeder then refill it?
That is what I have been doing. I read about how you are supposed to ration your ducks feed when they start laying so I was wondering if this was true for chickens as well?

I've always let them feed free-choice. The girls have access to the yard and will spend the entire day contentedly grazing on fresh green grass, visiting the feed hopper only as needed...

I'm lazy. I don't want to be out there twice a day feeding them. Most people seem to do rationed feeding to cut down on waste. I have done it and it does help with waste but didn't think it worth the effort. Or some people like spending more time each day with their chickens. I don't. I like our chickens a lot, but don't want to be tied down to having to feed them twice a day.

My current waste control method: when they run out of feed in the feeder, I wait a day or day and a half before refilling their feeder. That way they tend to do a pretty good job of cleaning up around the feeder. They also get some free range time most days so they can get some of their own food as well.

No, Free choice feed is best. I have never know a laying hen to eat too much to the point of getting fat. Most people I know that try to ration their birds end up with chickens that are always hungry, and no eggs. If your chickens are spilling a lot of feed, than you might want to look into another kind of feeder.

Back
Top Bottom