Just starting my adventure☺ and a lil confused.

Michelle805

Hatching
May 4, 2016
California's Central Coast
My name is michelle and i am just starting my chicken adventure. I have chosen a location in my backyard and we are building a coop this weekend .We are a family of 4 but I would like to have extra eggs on hand for family and so we have decided to get 6 hens which is the maximum within our city limits. I am unsure what breed is best. Any recomendations are welome. Also which is best? Purchasing chicks or coop ready or starters or pullets I am so
1f615.png
confused by these. Any recommendations and advice is so welcomed.....
263a.png

Hi Michelle
welcome-byc.gif
- glad that you have joined us. Don't worry, being in a state of confusion is a perfectly normal state of being for me!
smile.png
. If eggs are your priority, then maybe a commercial laying bird would suit you best? There are heritage breeds that are good layers also - maybe check out the "Breeds" section at the top of the page.

I would advise getting point of lay pullets if possible. Eggs come sooner and the learning curve is more gentle than if you start off with chicks.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre (even if you have lots of experience)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center, and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread

All the best
CT

Nice to meet you Michelle, Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock. If eggs are your main concern it would be best to get the high production breeds or sex links. If you want chickens also as pets. you will want to get some of the docile breeds .

Hi Michelle! I am new here too. Just intro'd yesterday.
I am now expecting my 6 chicks today! They "should" be at home when I arrive. My husband is picking them up.
I am so confused about this chicken thing too. I have learned a ton here just reading. You Tube has been AWESOME too.
I wish I could help you, but that is the blind leading the blind. Sorry. But we can try to get though this together!!!!

Back
Top Bottom