Hello All, just joined from Suffolk, VA

Buckenit

Hatching
May 4, 2016
I have purchased 12 RIRs for my 1st time. My chicks are 4 weeks old now and growing fast. I lost one rooster not sure why but he was the smallest of the bunch, He decided to go to chicken heaven at about 2 weeks old. The rest are doing really well. I have them on Purina Start and Grow Medicated, they seem to like it. I had been keeping them in the house the 1st 3 weeks in a large tub with heat lamp. I had to move them out to the garage as the smell and dust was getting to be too much. At around the 1-2nd week I have been taking them outside for all day play time and bringing them back in at dusk. They let me know when they are ready to come back in as they will huddle up tightly and lay down and very quiet. A few days after taking them outside I had started gathering bugs for them, earth worms, meal worms, crickets, grass hoppers, roly polies, ants and slugs... they used to eat the worms but have turned their noses up on them lately. I do kill or at least remove the pinchers on some. Their favorite are roly polies, they go into a frenzy when I drop them in their pin, not a single poly is ever left,, lol. I have found that some ants they don't like too much, but some ants like orange colored they love them and I think for one reason is they have a nice aroma about them. I found one such ant that smells just like the tiki lamp oil used for pests. I am in the process of building a condo for my birds, it's almost done and the rain here is giving me issues now.

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
- glad that you have joined us.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre (even if you have lots of experience)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center, and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread

All the best
CT

Welcome to Backyard chickens. When your chicks are 6-8 weeks old, you can post photos at "what breed or gender is this."

Hello fellow Suffolkian! Just joined about 10 minutes ago. We have 6 girls, just over a year old and 3 chicks that are about 5 weeks. Sounds like you are enjoying your chicken adventure!

Back
Top Bottom