Having a none medicated flock when store bought?

Illramu

Hatching
Apr 7, 2015
Roanoke , Va
I just bought some more chicks at TSC and now my week old chicks are happy and doing beautifully. I have been feeding them a none GMO/none medicated natural feed. The rest of my flock eats the same food with the addition of free ranging. Since I've changed the food that they were being fed in the store can I call their eggs organic or would I need to order my chick's to start them with a natural diet?
Thanks

Last edited:
Technically no - on any of your birds actually. The USDA "owns" the term organic and you can't get by on non-medicated 'natural' feed. The feed, from day 1 - has to be certified organic. Also, any medications you use have to be 'organic.' No antibiotics - even if your chickens become ill and need them (same with all ailments and medications). The hens must be uncaged and free to roam in their houses and have access to the outdoors. The hens have to fed an organic diet of feed produced without conventional pesticides or fertilizers. This means that your yard (where they free range) cannot be treated with fertilizers or pesticides that are not organic. You may also have to have your water supply (that you give to your chickens) tested for chemicals and additives.

The last time I checked, and the standards occasionally change, the housing for your chickens cannot contain lumber that has been treated chemically. This also applies to your porch or deck or house (or whatever) if they free range in that area. You have to be inspected (usually more than once) and pay any appropriate fees - else you face fines and punishment from the USDA for improper labeling and use of "their" word organic.

There is probably some stuff I'm leaving out, all to use a word that doesn't mean anything. "Organic" is a term that is "in" for the past few years and it's overused and honestly - doesn't mean anything. "Organic" commercial eggs come from hens that are often kept if pretty crappy conditions and really, aren't much better off than other factory farms. It's simply a marketing term that is hollow - some people are still fooled by it, but eventually, the millineals will learn that they're being duped and move on from it.

Some links for guidlines and such to follow:

https://www.ams.usda.gov/rules-regulations/organic

https://www.ams.usda.gov/about-ams/programs-offices/national-organic-program

Technically no - on any of your birds actually.  The USDA "owns" the term organic and you can't get by on non-medicated 'natural' feed.  The feed, from day 1 - has to be certified organic.  Also, any medications you use have to be 'organic.'  No antibiotics - even if your chickens become ill and need them (same with all ailments and medications).  The [COLOR=333333]hens must be uncaged and free to roam in their houses and have access to the outdoors.  The hens have to fed an organic diet of feed produced without conventional pesticides or fertilizers.  This means that your yard (where they free range) cannot be treated with fertilizers or pesticides that are not organic.  You may also have to have your water supply (that you give to your chickens) tested for chemicals and additives.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]The last time I checked, and the standards occasionally change, the housing for your chickens cannot contain lumber that has been treated chemically.  This also applies to your porch or deck or house (or whatever) if they free range in that area.  You have to be inspected (usually more than once) and pay any appropriate fees - else you face fines and punishment from the USDA for improper labeling and use of "their" word organic.  [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]There is probably some stuff I'm leaving out, all to use a word that doesn't mean anything.  "Organic" is a term that is "in" for the past few years and it's overused and honestly - doesn't mean anything.  "Organic" commercial eggs come from hens that are often kept if pretty crappy conditions and really, aren't much better off than other factory farms.  It's simply a marketing term that is hollow - some people are still fooled by it, but eventually, the millineals will learn that they're being duped and move on from it.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Some links for guidlines and such to follow:[/COLOR]

https://www.ams.usda.gov/rules-regulations/organic

https://www.ams.usda.gov/about-ams/programs-offices/national-organic-program

This is explained so perfectly!
1f44d.png

Back
Top Bottom