An FYI Reminder, It's Predator Baby Season

MeepBeep

Crowing
8 Years
As I was so rudely reminded today when I came home at 3pm to see a coyote walking my pastures fence line anticipating jumping into the pasture in full daylight even as I approached...

It's that time of the year so be aware that predators have babies to feed this time of year, and they will change their eating habits, extend their normal predatory hours and extend their range to provide for the extra mouths they now have to feed...

I suggest Getting Scarecrows and getting a portable Radio, turning it on and then putting it on the Scarecrows. You could also get a live Trap and then put TUNA in the Trap and then kill the Coyote.

Good Luck!

I suggest Getting Scarecrows and getting a portable Radio, turning it on and then putting it on the Scarecrows. You could also get a live Trap and then put TUNA in the Trap and then kill the Coyote

Coyotes in many places have become so urbanized a scarecrow and radio isn't going to do anything but be a waste of money...

In my area the coyotes will stare you in the face at 50 paces and continue their business as if you don't exist... If a real human doesn't bother them I know a scarecrow/radio isn't...

Last edited:
Coyotes in many places have become so urbanized a scarecrow and radio isn't going to do anything but be a waste of money...

In my area the coyotes will stare you in the face at 50 paces and continue their business as if you don't exist... If a real human doesn't bother them I know a scarecrow/radio isn't...

X2 and sorry, motion sensored lights will only work until the predator gets used to them and it varies by which animal. I have had them work for up to a week a few times and then it would go back to a virtual highway of tracks again. I have extended that effectiveness some by moving the lights(battery operated ones) to different spots each night but even that quits having an effect after awhile. Once a predator animal gets used to a "surprise" light coming on...the surprise effect is gone. This has been my experience.

It has worked fine for me, I haven't had any attacks in 5 weeks

One thing to note for predators is that they have several different hunting locations and routes so that they don't over hunt an area...

So it's not uncommon to see a coyote in your area then not see it again for 4-8 weeks while it chooses to hunt the numerous other locations in different directions...

But, you can rest assured that in time if they know their is food they will return to your area... In my area they will walk down the sidewalks in residential areas totally ignoring the motion sensor lights going on and off as they walk or the voices and movements inside the houses they are passing... It really doesn't take them long to get used to things once they realize it's not actually posing a threat to them...

Trap For Coyote:

That isn't anywhere near big enough to trap a coyote IMO unless you can convince it to do some contortionist act to get in there...

Coyotes sizes vary by region, in my area they are about 24" at the shoulders and 40" long and are about 40lbs... In some areas smaller, and in some areas where they are now inner breeding with wolves larger...

I have a few live traps of the size linked and they are barely large enough to trap (and contain) the adult raccoons and woodchucks in my area, I simply can't see it working for coyotes at all, as they would have to be crawling on their belly and tucking their butt in to even be close to allowing that trap to close.... As it stand not even half their body will be in the trap if they simply stretched their neck out to grab the food inside, if you could even get them to do that in the first place...

Back
Top Bottom