HELP! Electrolyte overdose?

PerkieChick

Hatching
May 5, 2016
Wisconsin
Hi all. I am a new chicken owner and am praying I didn't make a fatal mistake with my chicks. I picked them up from the hatchery may 4 around 4 pm. Brought them home and gave them water with electrolytes. They had access to this water for about 24 hours. When I went to make new water today I realized that I messed up big time on the measurements. I mixed 1oz powder with 1 gallon water, but missed the fact that that was a stock supply measurement. It should have been about .07 oz per gallon. I have removed and given just plain fresh water. I haven't noticed any sicklyour chicks. They are eating and drinking and running around. No seizure activity, or signs of high salt levels. Did I just accidentally sentence my chicks to death, or will they recover? Thanks in advance

Stick with clean water to flush them out. They'll be fine. I've got a large package of powder, was the only way local feed store sold it and was in cattle/sheep section. Good thing this stuff doesn't really go bad as it's something like 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. On second year and barely used any of the 8 oz package.

I'll add that in the salt studies chickens had to be injected with saline solution directly into their crops to get them to overdose. It's an incredible amount of salt needed and not ale to be done by accident. They wont drink water with too much salt in it or eat salt laden feed hence the need to inject it. Any ill effect would be from them being dehydrated if there was too much salt in water.

Last edited:
Thank you so much. They seem to be fine. All wandering around their brooder, eating, drinking and sleeping. There doesn't seem to be any I'll effects

Back
Top Bottom