Can I brood full-size chickens together with Bantams?

OilyChick

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2016
Northeast, Texas
I have looked through the forum discussions on the subject of integration of Bantams and Full-size chickens. There are a LOT of threads on this subject. But I'm not finding an answer to my specific question.

1. Can chicks of Banties and Full-size be grown up together in the same brooder? From the 2-6 wk age?
2. Can 2 day old chicks of mixed be started in same starter brooder?

Getting ready to build my grow up brooder and wondering if I should have a divided but "able to see each other" type design? I'm planning to keep chicks in a plastic storage container brooder the first week.

Will the Bantam chicks be that much smaller than the full-size? Can they even be in the plastic starter brooder together the first week? I want them all to be fully integrated once they go into the coop together.

I have 18 chickens total coming. 12 full-size: Americauna's, Orps, Australorps, sex-link, RIR , 2-3 each
PLUS 3 each of straight-run D'uccle and Silkie Banties. Hoping for at least one pullet from each breed. Will re-home the roos.

Here is divided brooder design I'm considering: http://www.instructables.com/id/Chicken-Brooder/

Generally when raised together bantams and full sized birds get along fine with a bantam frequently being at the top of the pecking order. (one exception to this is the housing of Polish bantams with large fowl) I have always brooded bantam and large fowl chicks together with minimal problems. Frequently shipping is more stressful on shipped bantams than on large fowl chicks. Once the bantams are on their feet, eating and drinking housing them together should be fine.

Thanks so
Generally when raised together bantams and full sized birds get along fine with a bantam frequently being at the top of the pecking order. (one exception to this is the housing of Polish bantams with large fowl) I have always brooded bantam and large fowl chicks together with minimal problems. Frequently shipping is more stressful on shipped bantams than on large fowl chicks. Once the bantams are on their feet, eating and drinking housing them together should be fine.
Thanks so much for the reassurance of raising together. AND for quick reply :)

So I will need to give the Bantams some extra TLC upon arrival? But it is still okay to house them together at the beginning?

If they appear strong enough, no problem housing them together. If they are weak or inactive, try separating them until they regain strength. Introducing bantams to an established flock can be fraught with problems. People wanting a mixed flock should do as you are doing. Good luck.

Oh that's fine to raise them together! I had 4 silkie mix chicks, with 2 easter egger leghorn mix chicks. They were complete fine together and even now, they are 2 months old and they still live together! They are the cutest little flock, and they live with 2 adult silkies. Somtimes they fight over dominance but Of course that is with every flock, and the silkies are actually in charge of the little cockerael. I don't think you have anything to worry about. I hope this post helped, and good luck raising them!

Attachments

• 0802171440a.jpg
    0802171440a.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 0806171512b.jpg
    0806171512b.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 0907171521.jpg
    0907171521.jpg
    690.2 KB · Views: 16

Back
Top Bottom