Silver Grey Dorking

Thetimbrcruiser

Hatching
May 8, 2016
I'm looking for more information/experiences that people have had in finding quality breeding stock/breeders of the Silver Grey Dorking. Any information and/or contacts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Wow...I stumbled across your thread start while researching the breed. I guess you've had as tough a time finding them as I have. I've only been raising poultry since 2014 and had decided right from the start that SGDs were my breed of choice. Then I began searching for some...and searching...and searching.... I purchased hatching eggs from a self-proclaimed SGD breeder here on the BYC and had a HORRIBLE experience with her. The eggs were so poorly packaged that most of the broke in the shipping box and the one egg that survived to hatch was actually a completely different breed. My second attempt at hatching eggs resulted in a whole flock of Dorking-mixes, possibly mixed with Leghorn or something similar because they are flighty and even mean.

Right now I've got ten SGD hatching eggs in the incubator...day 11...and I'm waiting to confirm that they are, in fact, pure SGD. I bought the eggs off of eBay of all places, from a breeder I've casually interacted with on Facebook. I've seen photos of her birds, which are lovely, but until recently she refused to sell eggs or chicks. If you like I'll keep you posted on my hatch and the bird's development. If I've finally managed to secure decent (and pure) stock, I plan to work very intently on breed improvement, and I'd really like to see more people working with this noble breed.

Back
Top Bottom