List of food NOT to feed chickens

doglover1

In the Brooder
May 16, 2016
Canada
Hi there, Is there a list of food that you can NOT feed to chickens somewhere. I didn't even know they could eat all of the things people have posted lol, meat, poptarts etc lol (poptarts obviously just a treat. I'm getting adult chickens soon and don't want to kill them giving them something they can't have. Thank you!

Most of the time common sense will be your guide on what not to feed the chickens.
IMO always have poultry feed available, limit treats to no more than 10% of their daily intake. Poptarts I would definitely limit
smile.png
Think fresh fruit, veggies, weeds from the garden, sunflower seeds, kitchen scraps, etc.
I feed an all flock type feed which is in crumble form. Mine absolutely go bonkers when I give them a "wet mash" made from it.
I just mix some of the feed in a bowl, add some chopped apple. grapes or whatever fruit is handy, chop up some kale or greens, occasionally add a small sprinkle of oatmeal, sunflower or even bird seed, add some water, then let them go at it. They think it's a special treat, but it's really their food with a few goodies sprinkled in. Hang some kale, apple(s), cabbage or squash up for them to pick at. Cantaloupe and watermelon are great for warm weather. I grow quite a bit for mine so a trip to the garden makes for a scramble to see what's in the bucket.

I'm sure others will chime in.

Here's a handy treat chart:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-treat-chart-the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens

Last edited:
Be aware that many of the 'do not feed' items you will find all over the Internet and in books are no as black and white as many would proclaim...

I'm not saying feed the items listed as bad, but common sense and moderation go a long way... Most of the 'no' items can in fact be fed to chickens without ill effects as long as it's in moderation...

off hand the biggest ones that I would not feed them is dark chocolate or avocados. Avocados are toxic to many animals and they amount of persin (toxic to many animals, not us or rats not sure what else is immune) in individual avocado's vary greatly. So they may eat a whole avocado and live and then there is a chance of eating a half a marble size and dying. Most of the persin is found near the seed and the skin. We eat a ton of avocado's in our house so we have to always be aware when giving out left overs to the chickens or other animals.

chickens are omnivores.. but it doesn't mean they can eat anything if you want to keep them healthy + not affecting the quality of the eggs.

Chickens do eat bugs/insects. I saw them eat cockroaches, caterpillars and scorpions. They just love bugs/insects.

for a list of things not to feed your chickens

NO citrus
NO onion
NO garlic
NO avocado (
contain the toxin persin, and according to the Merck Veterinary Manual: "Ingestion of avocado has been associated with myocardial necrosis in mammals and birds.
NO white potato
NO tomato leaves or eggplant leaves
NO apple seeds
NO rhubarb
NO raw dried beans
NO chocolate, caffeine, tea bags (
Caffeine should never be fed to chickens and chocolate also contains the toxin
methylxanthines theobromine which should be avoided.)
NO moldy foods
NO alcohol ?
wink.png

NO too salty or sweet foods
NO food that has been sprayed with pesticides, herbicides or other chemicals
such as lawn treatment products.
NO asparagus
NO iceberg lettuce (will cause diarrhea)
NO spinach (interfere with calcium absorption)
NO dairy products (also cause diarrhea)
LIMIT the amount of white rice, pasta and bread

All of the above foods are either bad for your chickens' systems OR can actually be toxic in large enough amounts.

Last edited:
Be aware that many of the 'do not feed' items you will find all over the Internet and in books are no as black and white as many would proclaim...

I'm not saying feed the items listed as bad, but common sense and moderation go a long way... Most of the 'no' items can in fact be fed to chickens without ill effects as long as it's in moderation...

X2 Always use common sense. A lot of things on the "do not feed" lists I give in moderation. Most fruits, veggies and weeds I feed without a second thought. Mine love leafy greens and they have had those since they were about a week old with no ill effects, but I see repeatedly don't feed them this, that and the other. As @MeepBeep states MODERATION is key. Having poultry feed available at all times makes the "goodies" more of a treat than a meal.

As I said moderation goes a long way, any list should not be taken as black and white, do your research on why it's on a list and at what levels it could or could not be dangerous... For all intents everything becomes toxic at some point, even the most basic like oxygen and water are toxic at some point...

NO citrus
NO onion
NO garlic
NO too salty or sweet foods
NO food that has been sprayed with pesticides, herbicides or other chemicals
NO iceberg lettuce (will cause diarrhea)
NO spinach (interfere with calcium absorption)
NO dairy products (also cause diarrhea)
LIMIT the amount of white rice, pasta and bread

I feed the above quite regularly but in moderation, some much more than others...

I also have to really question "NO food that has been sprayed with pesticides, herbicides or other chemicals" as that would rule out most every food sold, even most organics, seems more like a political statement...

Back
Top Bottom