Free Eggs From Strangers ?

BruceAZ

Songster
May 18, 2016
Valley of the Sun :)
I saw a post on Craigslist's "free stuff" section a few days ago for FREE EGGS.

Someone is raising backyard chickens but could not keep up with all the eggs so they are giving them away.

I showed my family the listing but we decided to pass on it, since there are factors that we had to consider.
hmm.png

If it was my next door neighbor then i don't mind though.
wink.png

Would you accept eggs from strangers?

Last edited:
I saw a post on Craigslist' "free stuffs" section a few days ago for FREE EGGS.

Someone is raising backyard chickens but could not keep up with all the eggs so they are giving them away.

I showed my family the listing but we decided to pass on it, since there are factors that we had to consider.
hmm.png

If it was my next door neighbor then i don't mind though.
wink.png

Would you accept eggs from strangers?

For eating, no. To hatch, yes, if they were a breed I wanted. Nothing to lose but time and effort.

For eating, no. To hatch, yes, if they were a breed I wanted. Nothing to lose but time and effort.
I agree. Hatching yes, eating no. While most of the people I've come into contact with from buying and selling birds over the years have been quite nice, the world is a crazy place and you never know people's motives. It's kind of the same principle as telling your kids not to accept candy from strangers. Best safe rather than sorry.
smile.png

Last edited:
We don't have craigslist but have other classifieds. I would. Most people are not sociopaths and I don't know what somebody could do to an egg that couldn't be detected. I wouldn't take opened bags of feed from a stranger in case they hate dogs or chickens or in case it has become adulterated in some way.

As with all classifed purchases and sales, you judge the situation/people and then decide. If they were just regular people, I'd take up that offer if I needed eggs. (I'm the other side of the equation, I've got eggs everywhere and should be offering them to strangers LOL). The odds of somebody hatching (geddit?) some plot to acquire chickens in order to do something to somebody via free eggs would be astronomical. Your odds of getting salmonella from a commercial supplier who is "doing it wrong" are probably way higher than some person with a few chooks out the back.

We don't have craigslist but have other classifieds. I would. Most people are not sociopaths and I don't know what somebody could do to an egg that couldn't be detected. I wouldn't take opened bags of feed from a stranger in case they hate dogs or chickens or in case it has become adulterated in some way.

As with all classifed purchases and sales, you judge the situation/people and then decide. If they were just regular people, I'd take up that offer if I needed eggs. (I'm the other side of the equation, I've got eggs everywhere and should be offering them to strangers LOL). The odds of somebody hatching (geddit?) some plot to acquire chickens in order to do something to somebody via free eggs would be astronomical. Your odds of getting salmonella from a commercial supplier who is "doing it wrong" are probably way higher than some person with a few chooks out the back.

you tried salted eggs before? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salted_duck_egg

they are eggs that were left in containers of salt water for over a period of time

The eggshell is pretty much a membrane. There are ways to get things inside the egg without leaving any physical signs (at naked eye level anyway).

Last edited:

I agree.

if you are going to lean on the 'stranger' angle, I don't know what is so odd about a free Craigslist'd ad for eggs, when there are numerous for sale ads for eggs on Craigslist from 'strangers' as well...

At then end of the day many of the people I sell eggs to were 'strangers' at one point as well... Also there is no shortage of 'Eggs for Sale' signs at the end of driveways in the rural areas around me, I'm sure people are stopping and buying...

Have you ever trick or treated, did you toss all that stranger candy?

As said there is some risk, but it's statistically insignificant, remember you have their contact info and you will visit their house so they are not exactly anonymous...

Last edited:
remember you have their contact info and you will visit their house so they are not exactly anonymous...
Yes, most scammers etc do so anonymously (or try to) they don't invite you to their homes. The prime motivator for nefarious conduct is usually greed. If some sociopath did want to poison strangers, you'd think they'd want to do it so they could see the effects, get on telly or something. I don't know. Sociopaths exist a lot on tv shows, but in real life, not so much. From what I can gather from tv and Dr Phil, they murder animals so they probably don't have any chickens left for eggs....

I hadn't even considered egg tampering; my thoughts were more about freshness. Different people have different ideas as to what "fresh" is. But...after reading these posts I'd not take the chance of being a statistic; no matter how remote.

if you are going to lean on the 'stranger' angle, I don't know what is so odd about a free Craigslist'd ad for eggs, when there are numerous for sale ads for eggs on Craigslist from 'strangers' as well...

At then end of the day many of the people I sell eggs to were 'strangers' at one point as well... Also there is no shortage of 'Eggs for Sale' signs at the end of driveways in the rural areas around me, I'm sure people are stopping and buying...

Have you ever trick or treated, did you toss all that stranger candy?

As said there is some risk, but it's statistically insignificant, remember you have their contact info and you will visit their house so they are not exactly anonymous...

this is the free stuff section for my area
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/search/zip

you can browse through it and let me know what's the common thing of the items being listed?

how many of those listing are for foods? things that you will consume ?

as trick or treat-- the candies will be inspected --anything opened will be throw away but that was years ago. we are too old for trick or treat now a day

how about accepting opened drinks from stranger at a bar? do you want to take the risk (especially for women) ? it's up to you.

and again it's personal preference. I'll not accept foods/drinks from a stranger period.

**oh.. there's someone giving away a rooster.. unless you live in the rural area or county land..it's not allowed here
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/zip/5597220484.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom