Aluminet shade cloth?

lovemy6hens

Songster
6 Years
Nov 4, 2013
Central Texas
Any advice on using aluminet shade cloth over the run? I've only found a couple of posts that mention it & they're several years old. If it works for anyone, please post.

We have a run that is a 10x10 dog run covered with the standard black shade top. We've covered that with tan colored shade cloth. It's not enough. I would like to replace both layers with aluminet. I found a very expensive "desert festival" shadecloth that is 50% white with a layer of 50% aluminet on top. I could make something like that out of remnants. Would that work?

What percentage shade should I look for? We don't have any trees, so I need something that will provide a significant amount of shade over the top.

Last edited:
I'm ordering some silver ChromatiNet with 80% shade. It's less expensive, so I'm trying it first. If anyone has advice on that, please post.

i use shade screen above the coop/run + foam insulation sheet

my coop/run is only 4 ft tall.. so.. on the roof i put some sheets of foam insulation i have lying around to help reflect the sun rays

and at 8-9 ft level i have a 6'x8' shade screen

so 2 layer of cover

it's pretty dang hot here 111-113 in the next few days

if i can reduce the heat gain through the roof it will help

How well did that work?  I am wondering what to order also.

I'm looking forward to letting you know. I just received the notice that my order has shipped. It took longer because I ordered a custom 10'x10' with tape & grommets. The total including shipping was about $80.

Last edited:
Thats the size we are wanting also, and a pretty good price. Can you tell me where you ordered it, or send me a PM? Would like to get one too.

I'm also curious about the Aluminet shade cloth, let us know! Its going to get to 108 this week, and my little nuggets are afraid of everything (misters, wind, fans, etc).

The ChromatiNet shade cloth arrived and is now on top of the run. I am surprised by the amount of light that comes through; I expected more shade. There has been a breeze the past couple of days, so it's hard to tell if it's making a difference with the heat. I am thinking about adding a layer of white shade cloth under it. What do you think?

I decided against the Aluminet because it is designed to regulate temperature over a 24-hour period in addition to shading an area. I don't know how much of a difference that would make with an open-sided run. It's too expensive for me to experiment with. Advice welcome.

Back
Top Bottom