Millet training keets - do I need to give them grit?

Notaneggspurt

Songster
May 17, 2016
TN
My Coop
My Coop
I have been reading about millet training keets and am getting ready to start doing so in the next few days. I haven't been able to find if I need to give them grit as well. They are currently on a game bird starter crumble and will be kept in the brood box until they are ready to be integrated into the chicken flock. Thank you for any advice.

I have been reading about millet training keets and am getting ready to start doing so in the next few days. I haven't been able to find if I need to give them grit as well. They are currently on a game bird starter crumble and will be kept in the brood box until they are ready to be integrated into the chicken flock. Thank you for any advice.

Anytime that you feed something other than the starter, they do need grit to be able to digest whatever you are feeding be it millet, grass clippings, etc. It needs to be a fine grit such as chick grit. I use sand for bedding and the sand acts as a very fine grit.

Good luck.

Anytime that you feed something other than the starter, they do need grit to be able to digest whatever you are feeding be it millet, grass clippings, etc.  It needs to be a fine grit such as chick grit.  I use sand for bedding and the sand acts as a very fine grit.

Good luck.

Thank you! I was going to convert over to sand for brooder bedding for the larger brood box but alas, mother nature decided my sand needed another washing. I had a bag of construction sand rinsed and out to dry.

I will get some fine grit and add a free choice feeder in the mean time. Thank you again :D

Back
Top Bottom