Predators in a subdivion

Mama Porch

In the Brooder
May 15, 2016
I live in a subdivision that doesn't have big lots. What types of predators are usually seen in subdivisions?

If we've never had a problem with any of these animals, will they suddenly just appear b/c there are chickens now?

Raccoons are everywhere! I know folks in subdivisions who watch them come up to eat dog/cat food (and bird seed) off their decks. Dogs, either stray or your neighbors, is another biggie in subdivisions.

If we've never had a problem with any of these animals, will they suddenly just appear b/c there are chickens now?

Absolutely. You put food out and they will come. It's that simple, the chicken your offering now is merely still walking around and not in your garbage can is all. Protection from dogs is big. Once your protected there, it will take electric wire or dig proof apron, that all will stop every animal except the climbers. Raccoon and opossum require electric wire to stop from climbing or a secured non chew through top. Chicken wire is not protection, 14 gauge welded wire is. Animals can chew through anything less. Once you go electric you'll never look back or need to worry so that's my vote for a run. If you raise birds from young with 4 ft netting they get shocked and learn to avoid the fence so flying over it is not an option for them. Older birds will fly right over if not trained young.

Coyote in subdivisions is true. Watched a show on them. It's all well and good to know they are around but once you see on camera people jogging at dawn or twilight and a coyote following them going from tree to tree is quite another mindset. They can be so close to you and you'd not even know it.

Last edited:
Everyone loves chicken!!! Plan on a predator- proof coop from the start, and save yourself heartache and ugly scenes in the coop. Well secured 1/2" hardware cloth over every opening, solid coop construction, and a dig-proof foundation barrier. Be glad if you don't have to worry about bears and cougars! Please believe us old fogies, we've been there before. Mary
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom