Strange egg

winkyfaye

Chirping
Feb 8, 2016
Robbinsville, NC
One of my Ladies laid a very tiny egg and it is much darker than any I have ever had. I have Red Comets and BO.

They are 2 plus years old I was told in January. When I cracked the strange little egg it was mostly white with a small oddly shaped yolk. I was fixing breakfast for my husband and I showed him the strange egg. He asked "are you giving me that", LOL I forgot to mention that only 3 of the 5 Ladies normally lay. Two of the Red Comets have never laid an egg since I have had them.

Last edited:
One of my Ladies laid a very tiny egg and it is much darker than any I have ever had. I have Red Comets and BO. They are 2 plus years old I was told in January. When I cracked the strange little egg it was mostly white with a small oddly shaped yolk. I was fixing breakfast for my husband and I showed him the strange egg. He asked "are you giving me that", LOL I forgot to mention that only 3 of the 5 Ladies normally lay. Two of the Red Comets have never laid an egg since I have had them.
When I get one like this from my chickens, I call it a fart egg. It's an egg that "popped" out before it was fully developed, I think.

An egg like that is usually formed when a bit of oviduct breaks off or a piece of tissue is released that's not an actual yolk. The body treats it like was a yolk and processes through as a regular egg, but smaller. All eggs get the same amount of pigment applied, so a smaller egg is darker where a larger egg is lighter due to the pigment being spread out around a larger egg.

You may want to add oyster shells, if your girls have plenty of water and protian. I think we all get the odd egg but if someone's not laying something is up; I had a girl forever and she didn't lay til I add calcium.

Thanks scramble please. They have oyster shell available all the time. I just wonder if they are older than the man we got them from told us.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom