Bad Batch (HELP)

CocoTurkey

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2015
I have a hen who nested and it didn't turn out well. All of the chocolate turkeys (what she and the tom are) died and one that looked like it could be a Merriam's survived. The Merriam's got killed by the tom because I was dumb and didn't seperate them properly. All but one of the chocolates were dead under her. The last one had gotten out of the cage (now secured) and died from exposure. These hatched around last Thursday. She still is sitting on six eggs, one of which appears to be partially cracked open with a dead poult (or sleeping). Now that it is almost Monday, should I take away her eggs and hope she lays more? What are the chances she lays more if she has no poults or eggs? Should I let her and the tom mate? Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
I am new to keeping turkeys on the ranch myself but I KNOW in the wild if a hen loses a clutch to predators or the elements, she will nest again and try another batch. I assume domestics would be the same but, like I said I am new to keeping turkeys myself. The longer you let her sit on these the chances of her trying again might be lower

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Take the eggs, she will eventually resume regular life. She will mate with the Tom and begin laying again in a month or so. I haven't had luck with hens raising poults successfully so I just raise them all myself.

Thank you, guys. I pulled them on Tuesday and she's still broody, but I'm sure it will wear off.

Back
Top Bottom