Can sulfur water be used for processing meat birds?

Glos Girls

Chirping
5 Years
May 19, 2014
Hello, I have been boiling our Sulfur water three time to use for processing, yes this takes forever! I am wondering if we just used straight sulfur water from our well if it would effect the taste of the bird? I do this for the cold water & for the ice I make... takes so much time. Thank you for any advise :)

Yes, using water high in sulfur will effect taste and smell...

Might be best to invest in an RO system to filer your water for processing and ice making...

The refurbished ones from Spectra Pure come highly recommended in home aquarist circles...

http://spectrapure.com/Refurbished-90-GPD-RODI-System

Note the above is an on demand system so the water flow rate is low (only about 3.8 gallons an hour) if you want faster water rates you need to get a system with a holding tank... Or simply let it fill a bucket or clean/new garbage can while you do other stuff...

Just what we thought.. we have a RO system we brought with us from our old home, just have not had the funds to hire someone to hook it up for it is calabrated right. Thank you for your help :) Will keep boiling until we get our RO hooked up, right now it is just hooked to a regular softner.

My dad has some of the worsted smelling and tasting sulfur well water that I have ever ran across. We almost always butcher at his house and use this horrible water for the processing and I have never smelled or tasted it on any of the birds.

WOW, that is amazing!! It takes me forever to boil all of the water for ice & the tubes, then for my final inspection. Thank you... I know after our showers there is no lingering order & my skin has never been softer..lol Think I will still boil but maybe only one time.
thumbsup.gif

My wife uses a Norwex filter pitcher for our well water.
Although a bit slow the water tastes and smells great.
No need to boil it.
Fill it up then let it filter.
Fill a second time let it filter and it's full.
It has a digital counter that tells you when to change the filter.
Would work good until you can get your RO hooked up.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Thank you, this sounds like a winner.
There are a lot of filter pitchers in the market and any local box store should carry them. They are simple and effective. They even make filters that mount on you faucet but I haven't tried those. My wife got into selling Norwex and that is now our preferred one to use though we still have another brand that I can't remember off hand. All their cleaning products are very effective and chemical free. So our home is cleaner and we don't use harsh chemicals to do so. If you can't a filter pitcher locally let me know my wife could order you one.

Back
Top Bottom