So many tiny flies!!!

shiningeyes

Chirping
Mar 22, 2016
So my duck coop and run are covered in these little tiny flies. They are small like fruit flies but I don't think that's what they are. They are in the run, in the dirt, in the coop, in the shavings and in their bathing run. I clean my coop and run of poop daily (kitty litter scoop). I drain and refill (and scrub every other day) their tub. I keep it as dry as I possibly can for ducks (though I haven't perfected that by any means). So I try. I really do. But the flies! It's only getting worse. Does anyone know what in the heck they are or how to get rid of them? I have some fly strips which arches quite a few of them but I obviously can't use those in the coop and as I said it's still getting worse. Help?!?

*i tried uploading pictures but it's not working. I'll try again later.

You don't give your location but around here the blackflies and/or gnats are vicious and prolific about now.
Cleanliness of coop and run has nothing to do with it really...they are everywhere, even in yards that don't have chickens.

You don't give your location

That probably helps :) I'm on the central coast of California. The gnats are bad over the lawns but not really anywhere else. I don't think these are gnats. They may In fact be fruit flies. I just don't know. I'm catching some on the fly strips but it doesn't seem to be making a dent. I may just have to live with flies going up my nose. Though hopefully I'll find a solution. Lime maybe anyone?

[/IMG]

Those are the best pics I've been able to get. They are fast little buggers and don't hold still! Camera shy I guess :)

Looks like two different insects.....there are so many different kinds of insects, they can be very hard to ID.

Back
Top Bottom