Adding chicks to a hen?

Truecelt

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 7, 2013
Verona, KY
I have a hen that went broody on a single egg. I decided to let her keep it, and she hatched it out 4 days ago. My friend gave me a couple of new hatchlings today that I'm hoping I can introduce to Amy (hen) so that Solo (chick) has some buddies. Is it worth trying to put them under Amy tonight? What is the likelihood she'll accept them? She is very protective of little Solo. She is still sitting on two infertile eggs, I was thinking maybe if I take those and replace them with the chicks she'll think they hatched over night?

It should work. Replace the eggs tonight and put the chicks under as quietly as possible. Come morning, she should accept them as her own.
smile.png

The new chicks hatched late last night/early this morning. So far so good. I put them under Amy around 10:30pm. She readjusted herself and settled back down. It's about 1 am now, and I just went out to check and everyone is quiet and happy. I'm hoping I'll see Solo and his two new siblings wandering around with Amy in the morning. Fingers crossed!

Glad it sounds like everything is working out so far! If the new chicks are only a few hours old and Solo is around 4 days, you might have problems with the younger ones not being able to keep up with mom. Keep an eye on them this first day especially if possible. Hope everything goes well!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom