Best guess at mixed-breed chicks?

psedge16

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 17, 2015
A few weeks ago I purchased some chicks from a local farm with the following birds: Ameraucana, Buff Brahma, Barred Rock, Rhode Island Red, Cochin, Black Australorp, Welsummer, and Maran.

Two of the chicks had the chipmunk pattern before growing their feathers in while two of the others were a very dark brown with a yellow underbelly.

The fifth chick was said to be a "swedish flower" chicken, however, I'm not sure.

What breeds/mixes can you assume from these traits and pictures?

Thanks!

So they're all mixed? Do you know what breeds of roosters vs what breeds of hens he had - that would help narrow down the crosses.

I love the little EE/EE mix chick - so cute!! I doubt it's actually Ameraucana - many people call EEs Ameraucanas.

I'm not seeing any feathered feet, so I'm guess no brahma/cochin mixes, because feathered feet seem to come through easily, at least here in mixes of non-feathered x feathered combos.

I'm wondering about the grayish looking chick - not sure what combination would create that.

I would think welsummer with the reddish chick.

So they're all mixed? Do you know what breeds of roosters vs what breeds of hens he had - that would help narrow down the crosses.

I love the little EE/EE mix chick - so cute!! I doubt it's actually Ameraucana - many people call EEs Ameraucanas.

I'm not seeing any feathered feet, so I'm guess no brahma/cochin mixes, because feathered feet seem to come through easily, at least here in mixes of non-feathered x feathered combos.

I'm wondering about the grayish looking chick - not sure what combination would create that.

x2

So they're all mixed?  Do you know what breeds of roosters vs what breeds of hens he had - that would help narrow down the crosses.  

I love the little EE/EE mix chick - so cute!!  I doubt it's actually Ameraucana - many people call EEs Ameraucanas.  

Thanks! The woman running the place said they were positively Americaunas and not EE.

Unfortunately I don't know what the mix of roosters/hens was.

Thanks! The woman running the place said they were positively Americaunas and not EE.

Well at this point it would be considered Easter Egger, at least if it's mixed. I believe true Americaunas lay only blue eggs. But if it's mixed with something else (looks like an EE chick at this point) then just like any EE, if its a pullet at least, it could lay blue, green, pinkish, or regular brown eggs.

I'd still love to know what created the grayish chick - I'm a fan of blues!

Well at this point it would be considered Easter Egger, at least if it's mixed.  I believe true Americaunas lay only blue eggs.  But if it's mixed with something else (looks like an EE chick at this point) then just like any EE, if its a pullet at least, it could lay blue, green, pinkish, or regular brown eggs.  

I'd still love to know what created the grayish chick - I'm a fan of blues!

I have news! I emailed the farm and got this response:
We have aBuff Brahma, Ameraucana, and Swedish Flower roosters. Our hen breeds are Black Australorp, Ameraucana, Barred Plymouth Rock, Buff Brahma, Rhode Island Red, Buff Cochin, and Welsummer."

If that helps narrow it down!

So the only thing that could be pure (if they truly are Ameraucana) would be Am.x Am.

I'm not familiar with Swedish Flower...but am thinking your blue chick must be Swed. x Aust. or possibly Swed. x Am.??? I googled the breed and did find different colorations, including blues.

The reddish brown chick is probably Welsummer x Am or Welsummer x Swed.

In the fourth picture, the brownish toned chick w/pattern behind the EE/Ameraucana mix...I can't really see that one. Does it look like the one blocking it, but just different coloration?

So the only thing that could be pure (if they truly are Ameraucana) would be Am.x Am.

I'm not familiar with Swedish Flower...but am thinking your blue chick must be Swed. x Aust. or possibly Swed. x Am.???  I googled the breed and did find different colorations, including blues.

The reddish brown chick is probably Welsummer x Am or Welsummer x Swed.

In the fourth picture, the brownish toned chick w/pattern behind the EE/Ameraucana mix...I can't really see that one.  Does it look like the one blocking it, but just different coloration?

Wow! Thanks so much! And yes they looked very similar when they were chicks with the chipmunk pattern, they just have different markings. The one you are talking about has a distinct "eyeliner"

Back
Top Bottom