Geese setup plans - advice or thoughts?

hundredfruit

In the Brooder
May 24, 2016
I'm new to keeping Geese but have fast fallen in love with them and hope to have them do a big job on my farm: keeping the grass down in between rows of berries, which I have a lot of. I'm hoping some more experienced geese keepers can tell me whether or not my planned setup will work well or if there are design flaws. Any advice or help would be appreciated!

Right now I have six Buff geese and hope to add more to the group once I have a permanent setup for them. They are currently in with my chickens inside an electrified poultry netting fence that I move on a regular basis in order to give them fresh grass. This is a temporary home for them because they are eating too much of my (expensive!) organic layer feed and I want to feed them on grass alone, separated from the chickens. I want to have them keep the grass down in my mulched berry rows.

Below is a diagram of my planned setup. The geese will spend the night inside a pen built out of pallets. That pen will in turn be surrounded by electrified poultry netting to keep them safe from predators. In the daytime, I will put them into one of four paddocks made of woven wire fencing and have them rotationally graze the area for a few days before moving them to the next area. Do you think this will work well? What is the best height and spacing for woven wire for geese?

Back
Top Bottom