Duckling newborn in trouble

MyBabyDuck

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2016
My duck was 28 days last Friday. Yesterday I saw that it had been internally pipped for 2 days and not doing more.I opened the air sac end and saw the beak. Waited more time. Eventually I had to pick away at the egg. Then I left it overnight to finish the job. This morning it was still hanging in the shell so I picked it free. No bleeding and yolk absorbed.
Duck is lying in incubator looking weak and frail. Can't stand. Hair is crispy on its head. Dreadful situation.
[/IMG]

I've sponged it down and managed to get some of the crispy hairs a little softer. I swear it is so weak yet still fighting. Still can't stand up, but wriggles if I lay it on its back. I dipped its beak into some water but it just shakes it a little so I guess it is ok. All of the other ducklings from the same batch are a week old today! I have no idea why he was so late. Even half way through hatching when the other eggs had gone dark, his was half empty. He is back in the incubator for now.

Just to update, he has made it, he was literally starving and trapped in the sticky membrane. It took 2 days of laying in the incubator and only today joined his siblings. I will update with a pic later

Back
Top Bottom