Momma hens

popeyerick

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 11, 2013
Well, one of our hens, a golden one, finally started sitting on some eggs. About 5 days now. Today our little bantam hen, Mini, decided to sit on the eggs and would not get off.... We have 4 other hens and all of them have laid eggs in the nest so we are not sure whose eggs are whose. the nest is a double one actually in an old plastic storage box...... This evening my wife and I moved some of the eggs into the other nest and moved Mini to them..... Goldie moved back into her nest and all seems to be fine... Dark now and Mini is still sitting on the eggs in the other nest.....
finished a large chick house for the chicks when they hatch and after Memorial day weekend will move both hens and the nest into it.... Will be interesting to see what hatches.... All the eggs should be fertile as we have our older rooster Azlan (Turkish for Lion) and a young rooster that rushes in to play when Azlan is not close......

from south Florida

yeah, between my silkies and my seramas, someone is always broody here. It seems like when one flock member goes broody, two others jump on the bandwagon within a few days - like broodiness is catching or something! Good luck with your hatch! Mark the date on your calendar so you keep track of the three weeks and can watch for potential hatchlings.

Back
Top Bottom