New to having a flock

skylerw

In the Brooder
May 25, 2016
Was wondering when I can let my flock out of the run I have a 5 acre pond for my 12 ducks and 12 chickens and would like them to come home at night however they don't like people we try to socialize with them and they just run away from us any help would be appreciated the chicken on the other hand are friendly but cautious of us

They do put themselves up however they are in the coupe run right now we have tried to let them out a few times a day to free range however we haven't let them out for long periods of time yet I'm worried once my ducks get to the pond I will lose them forever

They do put themselves up however they are in the coupe run right now we have tried to let them out a few times a day to free range however we haven't let them out for long periods of time yet I'm worried once my ducks get to the pond I will lose them forever
thats something i also worry about, let me ask around and see what i can find out
you could try one of those floating duck house things since it is such a large pond

how far is the pond from their coupe?

About 100-150 yards from the coupe if I can get pictures to load I could show you I'm trying to figure that out now

About 100-150 yards from the coupe if I can get pictures to load I could show you I'm trying to figure that out now
pictures are hard on mobile, especially apple devices
easier if you do not use the app, and go into the website via your browser

one of the girls i talk to said she has to catch her birds every night (ducks not the chickens) but i am waiting to hear from others

Some of my ducks werent too people social so we started giving them some kitchen scraps such as field greens, arugula, romaine, and the rinds of melons. They love it , now Everytime I go out there they wait and see... Its bribing but it works. The meal worms too. It took them a little while to understand what I was dropping was a treat. Now I can't get them off my porch. But overall they are easily corralled into their pen.

Back
Top Bottom