Week old cornish-X

txia

Hatching
May 26, 2016
Hello, I discovered this site and thought I could ask my question here.

I have some week old Cornish X chicks. I noticed the area underneath their butt looks large and I cant remember whether it's normal or not. They all have the same butt which makes me think it's okay. The one chick on the front line with the small booty is a leghorn.

I've attached a picture. Don't look at all the feed on the ground :) feeder was slapped together last minute as I've not had a lot of free time with work.

Bonus question if I get one? Do you recognize this 'exotic' chick breed from Murray McMurray that I received? He's got feathered feet too.

Thanks for the help folks!

Sorry about that! I tried again from my phone and it isn't working on my Android. Here's from my computer.

The above picture is of the meat birds with the leghorn being the small one. I'm just concerned about their tail end and whether that's normal or whether I need to tend to their health. They are about 10 days old now and are on a starter 18% protein.

This is my exotic chick. I'm not too concerned with identifying him but I thought I'd post his picture just in case. He does have feathers on his feet. He's a little smaller than even the leghorns right now.

I haven't had meat birds before but I believe that's normal for them. Hopefully someone who's raised them will chime in. You exotic chick appears to be a cochin, I can't tell if it's a bantam or standard, but if it's smaller than the leghorns than it's probably a bantam.

welcome-byc.gif

Your little meaties look very normal.

I'm thinking the odd guy out is a Brahma, but I'm not positive. What kind of comb does it have?

You know, I didn't even think to look at his comb. This is the best of a picture I could find which doesn't show much. I'll remember to look tomorrow.

Thanks for the responses to both of you. It's good to know those chicks were growing normally. I figured, but kind of panicked.

With both of your suggestions I could narrow my search down for chicks and I looked at the pictures Murray McMurray offers of each breed.

He has similar markings to a buff brahma but different/lighter colors. And I guess I think he looks like he could be a blue cochin bantam, barred cochin bantam, and a black frizzle cochin bantam. My only hesitation there is that he is 'supposed' to be an exotic breed and none of those are listed under exotics. Under the exotics, he looks similar to a blue andalusian or a white faced black spanish. But he looks more like the bantam breed chicks per those pictures. Oh well, time will tell!

Thank you both again for the responses!

He doesn't look like a bantam. He's got pretty heavily feathered legs, so that rules out Andalusian or Spanish. I forget if MMM had Langshans? Besides that, for feather legged breeds I think they pretty much have large fowl Cochins, Brahmas and Faverolles. He's not a Faverolles, that's for sure. Could be a large fowl Cochin.

Back
Top Bottom