Hello

acarr777

In the Brooder
May 27, 2016
I am a new member. I am a teacher in NC. I teach a self contained special education classroom with 9 wonderful boys diagnosed with Autism. This year we had a hands on Science unit by introducing the life cycle of a chicken. I wrote a grant to pay for the incubator and egg turner and we hatched chickens. Right now we have 2 that are about 1 1/2 months old. We had a small number of eggs that hatched so our farm sent us another 3 dozen to try again. My children have fallen in love with them and have fond memories of, "Emma" , the chicken my parents had in their backyard in NY. SOOOOOO I am now trying to get my HOA to allow us to take the first 2 home providing they are both hens. The new batch should arrive next week around Wednesday. We are excited to see this miracle again. (hopefully with a better or larger outcome)

welcome-byc.gif

What a great project to be doing with them! Please feel free to make yourself at home and if you have any questions feel free to ask. Also I advise checking out the learning center for helpful articles: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Incubating and hatching sure is lots of fun and fantastic for kids to see the how life works. This article is an absolute bible on incubating and hatching ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101
There is also a fantastic link in there to the incubating with friends thread where other members can really help you out.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your future hatching. Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

I try to do as many hands on activities in the classroom as possible. I teach 9 boys diagnosed with Autism. They learn best that way. We also have a service dog that lives with me and comes to the classroom daily. So far we have done the life cycle of the butterfly, ladybug, and chicken. I am thinking of doing newts and frogs for next year. I love teaching children with Autism because it forces you to see the world in a different way and you learn something new every day.

Back
Top Bottom