Safe bedding choices

CuzChickens

CountryChick
7 Years
Apr 24, 2016
Virginia
Hello! I am not sure if the is the right place to post this...But anyway, can Cherry wood shaving be used for chicken bedding??? I know the leaves of wild cherry have killed cows before, and I did not know if it would be ok to use cherry chips. I know Cedar is toxic. TIA

I use cedar with no problems. . So I'm probably not the person to ask.. all shavings probably have some toxic level... as the age ther smell lightens. . So who knows. . Does breathing the air from the chips affect them.. maybe a little.. but I don't let them smoke cigarettes. . So I'm sure it's fine.. most chickens are culled by 2 years.. long before they develope lung cancer.

I'm pretty sure cherry is fine! I Personally use pine or spruce shavings, and have used peat moss in the past! I loved the peat moss, it was amazing at keeping everything dry, and there was little to no smell. Only downside was that it was DUSTY. I hear people use sand a lot, but that doesn't really let the manure decompose. I'm going to set my coop up with a deep litter system in a week or so, using spruce shavings. With the deep litter method, you can go years without completely cleaning out the coop, and it's even shown to have health benefits for the birds!

Hardwood chips would work, but softwoods are more absorbent.

Never seen cherry wood shavings available.....
.....what is the source and size of shavings, maybe a wood working endeavor?
If they are small and very dusty, I would pass....if from a lathe, might work ok.

Yes, that is what they are from. My grandfather is a woodworker, and he said he would save me his chips from the lathe and I could use them for bedding instead of paying $10 a month on pine shavings at Southern States. He said he has sawdust mixed in, but would keep the sawdust out if it helps.

Yes, that is what they are from.  My grandfather is a woodworker, and he said he would save me his chips from the lathe and I could use them for bedding instead of paying $10 a month on pine shavings at Southern States.  He said he has sawdust mixed in, but would keep the sawdust out if it helps.

I'd ask him to try to leave sawdust out.. bigger chips are better.. but if he can't. .mixed is fine

Yeah, I only want to use the deep litter method in the winter because I heard it produces heat while it is composting. I have never heard of using moss for bedding. I have only been raising chickens for 3 months though. I read up on them for a whole year before I got them.

i use pine shavings from wal-mart.. it's a bit pricey
Tractor supply company has a better price.. but i heard the quality is not the same as before

they have fine and flake

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...co-flake-premium-pine-shavings-covers-8-cu-ft
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...co-fine-premium-pine-shavings-covers-55-cu-ft

while wal-mart only has flake

flake shavings have less dust than fine shavings

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pet-s-Pick-Pine-Bedding-4.0-cu-ft/24232050

Awesome! Thanks! I get mine from Southern States and they are $5.00 for 10 cubic feet.

Back
Top Bottom