Age chicks have to be before going outside just during the day

It is all about the age and ambient temperature.
I've seen mother hens take chicks outside when it was in the 30s F. They're not that fragile. They need a hot spot to warm up and then they run around in the cold most of the time.
The hot spot could be a hen or an artificial heat source.
You'd be surprised the cool temps a 2,3 or 4 week old chick can handle for short periods. If they huddle together, they're too cold. If they scatter, they're fine.

My rule of thumb is after age two weeks, a nice calm day of 70F is fine for them for a short spell, say no more than half hour to start. Then you can increase the time spent away from their heat source each day by a little bit until they are spending an hour away from the heat on a nice day.

Watch the chicks and they will tell you if they are cold and need to go inside by huddling together.

Thank you for the advise. They are 10 days old so by next week if the weather is nice I will put them out for a short time to see how they are doing. I noticed this morning that one of the Welsummer chicks is sleeping more than usual and has pasty butt. They are eating medicated chick food and I change their water 3 times a day and clean their poop out of their brooding box at least 3 times a day. Any ideas as to why this is happening? The speckled Sussex chick is always pushing the 2 Welsummer chicks away from the food and chases the other chick (not the one with pasty butt).

Back
Top Bottom