Is this claw a problem

BigRedNZ

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 19, 2011
Just got this bird, and have noticed this weird extra claw. Is it an issue? What should i do about it? Thanks for your help.
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Sorry about that, the second photo didn't attach. It's there now & looks like what you've shown.

I trim mine back with shears,you can get a good set of like dog nail trimmers and trim it, it will bleed a little but don't worrie about that just wrap them up in a towel and snip it off about where it would be straight

Yup, it's a spur! I personally feel uncomfortable with my birds having spurs, as I know that they do fight amongst themselves. It could injure another bird, ya feel? Also the angle that that spur is at looks like it may poke then hen, I'm not sure though. Hot potato method is what I choose, as it cause less pain and bleeds less, and is supposed to heal quicker. Also it's easier and less dangerous, trimming the spurs with dog toenail clippers you can split the spur, which is no good. Also the spurs have a quick, just like claws, so trimming is basically cutting into the quick! Ouch! Imagine the pain! Hot potato just removes the outer layer. You can read up on it here!

Well if you think that scalding the spur doesn't hurt your crazy, anyway you go about it it's gonna hurt I trim mine all the time and don't have any issues with "splitting" it's all personal preference do you want to burn the spur off or cut it

I guess... Just seems a bit more painful to actually cut into the sensitive quick... But to each their own! I suggest the OP look into the options they have if they want to remove the spur, and I suggest you do... Only makes sense to leave spurs on a rooster that is going to be protecting a flock! Even then though, they can hurt the hens

I'll probably trim it. And like the dog, little often is not a problem. Rather than too much at once. I did YouTube the potatoe trick, that's impressive, but you do leave the hen with a soft core for 1-2 weeks. Clearly it's a point of debate

Back
Top Bottom