Chicken Coop Suggested Size

bawkybawk

Hatching
Apr 21, 2016
Hi, I've heard that 2 sq feet per chicken in the chicken coop is a good minimum, but I was wondering if people include the nesting boxes in that estimate? Or should nesting boxes be counted as separate space and not in the coop square feet?

Whether you go by the 4 sq. ft. minimum or the 2 sq. ft. minimum that I most often hear recommended, it means actual livable floor space. So anything that takes away from floor space should be deducted. Wall mounted nest boxes with usable space beneath would not take away from floor space.

If you're in an area that gets winters with snow/ice, I would highly recommend using the 4 sq. ft. min. But in areas that really don't get winters, 2 sq. ft is quite doable.

You will need to make sure your coop allows for enough linear roost space - 12" is recommended per LF bird.

Thank you. That gives me a great idea, I was worried about square space in my coop but it's tall and I could just easily add a second story/shelf for the chickens to give them a few more square feet.

Last edited:
the minimum size will vary

but if you can provide more space then by all means :)

0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom