Hi

Northernelf

In the Brooder
May 29, 2016
I am a new member and a new chicken owner. Well not completely new we purchased our chicks in February and they are just starting to lay. We have 3 Rhode Island Reds and 3 Barred Rocks. We are currently building a bigger and better coop and run for our girls. I have been coming to Backyard Chickens for ideas for several months now so better just own up to it and join up. The new coop is 8'X10' with a 4' covered porch. I am taking a portion inside for myself to use for the feed and whatnots. We will be accessing the next boxes from inside that space also. If I do add some more girls I will be able to move the feed cans and have a nice space for the getting to know each other faze. We live in Washington so standing in the rain gets pretty old pretty quick. The run will be all wire cloth to keep the critters out. We have several hawks and eagles that come around often. We also have most of the other predators around including the occasional mountain lion so safety has been foremost in our planning. That's about it. I am off to find some pictures of the interior of some coops to show my husband so he can see some of the things I am telling him.

You may want to check out the predator threads. I think for Mountain lions you might need electrified fencing and shotgun
hide.gif

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

Back
Top Bottom