Boil...leave or lance?

DuckyGaze

Songster
7 Years
Apr 10, 2015
I need help badly but have been unable to find an answer

My muscovy is on a huge clutch of eggs but today I saw she has a big boil on the side of her head. Should I let it be or do I take her inside to lance the boil? Will she return to her nest after or will she abandon them.? I really do not want to risk her abandoning the clutch but also do not want to leave her with this boil unless it will take care of itself naturally.

@Miss Lydia
@dotknott
@casportpony
@Orca5094

My first, gut reaction is that I would deal with the abscess, or whatever it is, and then if she abandons the nest, have a backup plan for incubating. Perhaps someone locally can help you out.

@DuckyGaze

Last edited:
Ok.. I will take the risk of her abandoning the nest. Unfortunately, I do not think anyone in my area has an incubator but I will take care of my girl first.

Thanks for the input but I will continue to search for answers. Always good to know if a girl will leave the nest for various reasons so next time something of this nature comes up, (hopefully never) I will know what to expect.
wink.png

Can you post a picture of the boil/abcess? I would carefully lance it, drain, and clean the area really well wit chlorhexadine, or something similar. Then apply some anti-biotic gel, the kind without pain-reliever. You can do all of this outside near her nest, that way I think she's more likely to just run back onto her nest after. Just do it as quickly as you can, but make sure to clean the area really well. You might want to clean it and apply more antibiotic gel 1-2 times a day after that if she handles it well. Just to make sure it doesn't become infected.

Can you post a picture of the boil/abcess? I would carefully lance it, drain, and clean the area really well wit chlorhexadine, or something similar. Then apply some anti-biotic gel, the kind without pain-reliever. You can do all of this outside near her nest, that way I think she's more likely to just run back onto her nest after. Just do it as quickly as you can, but make sure to clean the area really well. You might want to clean it and apply more antibiotic gel 1-2 times a day after that if she handles it well. Just to make sure it doesn't become infected.
And keep those flies off the wound once you open it. I think she'll go back to her nest especially if you do it the procedure close to where she is nesting. A pic of this abscess would be good idea.

Here is a picture. I touched it and there is no excessive heat like boils produce and this is very hard and looks grayish.

I feel so horrible for my poor little girl.
sad.png
She is in the pond now taking a few moments for herself, preening and cleaning her feathers.

Last edited:
Where are you?

Backup incubator plan is a good idea.

Yes I think it is wonderful but when I tried to order one today, they said it will take 2 to 3 weeks to deliver. No one in my area seems to have one. :( I am the only one left that has ducks, muscovies and geese. Hubby is looking into homemade incubators and will set one up for me in case she does not go to the nest.

Yes I think it is wonderful but when I tried to order one today, they said it will take 2 to 3 weeks to deliver. No one in my area seems to have one. :( I am the only one left that has ducks, muscovies and geese. Hubby is looking into homemade incubators and will set one up for me in case she does not go to the nest.
yippiechickie.gif
She cleaned her feathers and walked around a bit and now is back on her clutch. So happy BUT still worried about that huge lump..
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom