Muscovy Chat

Pics

kikitheduck

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2016
Auckland, New Zealand
Hi all! I'm a newbie to this but I thought I would give BYC a shot :)

I have 5 muscovies, and one of them is due to hatch babies anytime now :weee Here's a photo of my blind duck Kiki, he's my baby :)

I created this thread to talk about muscovies, and if anyone would like to ask questions, I'm here to answer! Fire away :p

Last edited:
Oh hey I have a drake named Kiki too! He's a cayuga, he was supposed to be a female, professionally sexed, but clearly something went wrong and the somewhat girly name stuck anyway.

I have one muscovy currently, we're thinking about getting another female muscovy for her though because she seems like the odd one out amongst the other ducks (3 cayugas and 1 ancona).
I am curious about what their body language all means! She's wagged her tail and bobbed her head with her mouth open at me when I came out to see them, but I've also seen her do similar towards a brush turkey which she then chased off. So I'm pretty confused by what she means by that, she's very much not scared of me or aggressive towards me, she's calmer than the cayugas who we've had since they were 3 weeks old, and we only got her like 2 weeks ago!

Not the best picture but Osono loves water
smile.png
She and the ancona came with minor cases of bumblefoot so that was during an epsom salt soak.

Hello I am new here too. I have a couple questions about my drake.
First off, I had a hen but she passed away a few days ago due to a bound egg.
I've had them both since they were a week old and now they would hav been both 10 months. Anyways after my hen passed my drake seems completely heartbroken. They've been together since they hatched. Is it possible for ducks to be depressed? Should I replace her so soon?
He really sticks close to me now when I let him out in the morning. All he does is sit on the back porch in front of the door and look inside. Occasionally he will peck on the glass until I come out and give him attention. He follows me everywhere I go now when I'm outside and he never used to do this. Should I get him another girl? Or will he be ok by himself for now?

Ghibli, what a beautiful girl! You asked about their body language, if shes bobbing her head and wagging her tail she's happy. If you can, I would recommend getting her a male, as it's mating season. With her talking to the turkey, it sounds like she wants a man. Otherwise, she sounds happy and healthy ;)

whalefail44 sorry for your loss :hugs Yes, they can get depressed. I have a friend who has duck who's female had died, and he fell depressed and didn't eat. When she brought him a new lady, he was happier within days. I would recommend getting him a lady if you can. Tell me if you need any more help :)

I have a question... Is it a common thing for the male to sit with/next to the female while she's sitting on the nest? He acts like her body guard lol

I have a question!!! So I have a Purebred Muscovy male and female who have been mating. And also a Rouen female she has been sitting on the eggs of both of them in pretty sure. How would I tell the ducklings apart from being the "Mule" ducklings and the purebred Muscovies?

I have a question!!! So I have a Purebred Muscovy male and female who have been mating. And also a Rouen female she has been sitting on the eggs of both of them in pretty sure. How would I tell the ducklings apart from being the "Mule" ducklings and the purebred Muscovies?

I'm not sure on that one. I suppose as they get older, their looks and the way they act will identify which is which. Otherwise, I recommend googling it to find pictures of what the mule and muscovy have different.

Back
Top Bottom