New Member pics of the flock

Jaxman78

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2016
Jacksonville, Florida
So the wife finally gave me permission to have some chickens! The only stipulations were that I have a nice looking coop AND I have some Easter Egger chickens. She likes the colorful eggs and didn't want me to build a Sanford and Son coop...lol
Here are a few pics of what I have going.....(don't worry, I'll be putting the roof on the run before the chicks are old enough to go outside)

They stay locked up for the time being until they're older. The run is pretty secure with 1/2" wire around the bottom with a foot buried. I even have some electric wire around the bottom to thwart off coons and dogs or whatever at night. Room isn't an issue. My run is 12x8 and coop is 8x8.

They stay locked up for the time being until they're older. The run is pretty secure with 1/2" wire around the bottom with a foot buried. I even have some electric wire around the bottom to thwart off coons and dogs or whatever at night. Room isn't an issue. My run is 12x8 and coop is 8x8.

Guess I was concerned when I saw the width of the wire, sometimes raccoons can be very clever and I'd be afraid if they got their hand through that wire they'd just yank an entire chicken through the holes, a very traumatic sight to see. However, you mentioned you have electric wire around the outside. Good thinking for keeping your babies safe! How many do you have? Are they all Easter eggers?

That's a decent size for your chicks. Good idea about burying the wire. With the electric wire nothing should want to climb the wire. Great job! I wish my husband knew how to build stuff. My 13-year old son is learning though. Again great job! Enjoy your feathered crew.

Back
Top Bottom