Maran? And something mysterious

vickivail98

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 12, 2010
Southern Michigan
I'm trying to ID these two bird types, the pale grey I only have one of, s/he has pale slate legs (s/he's the one in front of my lovely White Chantecler). The black chick with lovely coppery brown neck feathers has yellow legs and most of them had white wing tips when they were little but seem to be losing them.

Last edited:
What hatchery did they come from?

The first bird looks like a black sex link.

the second puts me in mind of a blue Orpington, but I can't be sure of the skin color from the pic. And it looks like a cockerel, depending on age.

The brown/black chicks are changing very fast! The pullets are still black with coppery neck feathers but the cockerels are rapidly heading towards an interesting mix of copper heads, Necks, chest and half way down their backs with the black feathers turning to a splendid black with greenish teal sheen. The light bird is getting darker, he looks very much like he's going to be a very large bird with medium dark lavender color. Of my 40 chicks I've only identified 9. I'm going to be keeping a variety of the pullets for eggs and eating the cockerels so I guess it doesn't matter too much but I'm SOOO curious.

Back
Top Bottom