Duck Food Not Mixed Correctly, Where To Analyze It?

NarrowWayAcres

Hatching
Jun 22, 2016
I have 130 ducklings, which were doing great, until recently. One by one, they stopped walking, they sat down and couldn't move. From reading other posts, I came to the conclusion that it was a lack of niacin. I was correct. I mixed brewers yeast with their feed, and 4 of the ducks that couldn't walk are walking about happily now. Does anyone know where I can get the feed analyzed to confirm the lack of niacin? I would like really like to keep using the feed mill I have been, but if I can't trust them, I will have to switch feed mills. Thanks!

Have you talked to the mill owner/ manager? Are the bags of feed recently milled (see date on each bag)? I would look at those issues, and then decide if it's the best feed, or use something else. I wasn't happy with the local feed mill here, and buy Flock Raiser instead, always checking the dates. Mary

Only 4 out of 130 showed improvement with the addition of brewers yeast?
Wonder about housing for that many birds and if there were other factors in addition to possible lack of niacin?
I'd be very careful not to alienate a local mill based on internet conclusions.

But, that's not what you asked.
Contacting your local Ag extension office might give you a place to have fed analyzed.
Agrees with Mary that verifying ingredient percentages on label and date of manufacture is an essential first step.

Your feed mill may be willing to pay for or share in the cost of having the feed analyzed too. A necropsy of your most affected birds at the state vet lab should give you answers, and if it's a problem with the feed, you will know for sure. Mary

Whoops! I made it sound like they all couldn't walk! I was in a hurry to get that posted, sorry. Only 8 have problems, and since I added niacin, 6 are almost better! Sorry for the misunderstanding. I'll try contacting the ag office. Thanks!

I realized that my post made it sound like they all were unable to walk, I will revise it. Only 8 came down, and after adding niacin, 6 are almost better. I have a lot of experience with birds
big_smile.png
(200 of them)! They also have adequate space. I am almost positive it is niacin.

Only 8 out of 130 having problems doesn't seem to indicate a feed problem either?
How long have you been keeping birds?

Last edited:
A few years ago I had one chick out of about fifty that became ataxic. He necropsy indicated vitamin E deficiency, which was much better than my fear that it was Marek's disease. At that time I wasn't carefully checking dates on the feed bags, and dumped the feed in the bin rather than keeping it in the bags. One chick out of a group, maybe slightly lower than the best level in the feed, and a bird with higher than average needs. Long story, but I would easily believe that only eight ducklings had issues, and that all might not recover. I would add that I would mark these birds and not use them as breeders. Mary

Your feed mill may be willing to pay for or share in the cost of having the feed analyzed too.

Most feed mills have proven mixing charts they use to formulate a base feed for poultry and even swine, then they tweak the formula with supplements or additional ingredients to specialize it... Those charts should give a basic nutritional overview, sure it might vary slightly by base ingredients, but probably not enough when averaged out to cause a nutritional deficiency...

And if one is concerned about vitamins I suggest getting some Diamond V XP and mix it into the food every day, nutritional yeast as mentioned above also works as well but it's a lot more costly... I will use nutritional yeast for chicks, but as the birds get older I switch over to the Diamond V...

Back
Top Bottom