Sexing 2.5 month old poults

April Petroski

In the Brooder
Sep 25, 2015
Wisconsin
We have 8 poults that we got from the feed store, 1 bb bronze (was supposed to be a Narragansett), 3 Narragansett, 2 midget whites, a slate and a chocolate. I am sure the bronze and the Narragansetts and one of the white are jakes. My question is, when can you really be sure other than laying eggs? I really want some to be hens!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

It can take up to 4-6 months before you can be definite about some of them, so keep guessing for a little while yet. Last year I was convinced one was a Tom but it ended up a hen.

I'm curious about this, too, as I adopted two BR poults. They are about two months old, I think (maybe a little older) and one of them is once in a while "displaying". Puffed up with tail up. Is that one a male?

Strutting is a strong indicator.

Gobbling is something mostly males do too. My wife and I spend a lot of time gobbling at our younger turkeys, the males are the only ones that gobble back.

As a side note, zip ties work very well as markers on turkey shanks. When we see male tendencies we mark the bid with one zip tie, if we continue to see tendencies we give him a second tie.. We havent had any fool us after two seperate male activities.

We have a 2 day old white poult strutting right now.. That is the youngest we have ever seen a strut!

Back
Top Bottom