How to clean dirt run of Quarantined chickens?!

Nicki750zi

In the Brooder
May 26, 2015
Southeast Kansas
Hello All,

I am back again today after ALL 5 birds I brought home from an NPIP and AI Certified breeder have presented with some sort of Respiratory Illness. Culled 3 last night, and have the other 2 to do as well- as of this morning they too are Sneezing, Runny Noses etc. They were quarantined in a separate coop and I am going to clean the coop and run today. I plan to use bleach solution and scrub every surface and all their separate feeders/waterers etc. My question is how do I clean the Dirt Run? I have no idea what the birds had. I have ordered pullets from a hatchery and will eventually need to put my new chicks out there in this same coop/run.

I have searched 2 days and re-worded my search query and have not had any luck finding a thread...

I appreciate any help!

The only way that you will know what was wrong with them is to have a necropsy done, or at least tissue samples and nasal swab sent to your state vet lab. Mycoplasma is managed by culling ALL birds on the farm, which can include indoor birds too, then cleaning, and after three weeks, it's okay to get new birds. Other things are different, so it's hard to give recommendations based on no information. So sorry for your losses! Mary

Thanks Mary! I informed the breeder and sent a short video of the very first chicken that showed symptoms and his reply was "Looks like she has a little cold, sorry she is sick". Well, that was before I even knew anything about chickens getting respiratory illness, chickens don't get colds! Then when the second one was sick I let him know, he just said "sorry she's sick". I have 3 laying hens that are over a year old and they've never been sick with anything. My only other thought was maybe other wild life? I'll look into Necropsy and see if that is an option. I don't know if this guy is selling them knowing they are sick or not. I'm so mad either way. I'm still pretty new to chickens and so I'm learning all this as I go.

Mary,

I did find out our state does free Necropsy's at the Kansas State lab. I emailed her back asking about swab samples, can they do that on live chickens? I have disposed of the original 3 that were culled. I really appreciate all your help! I have no resources other than here and online- I wouldn't have had the slightest clue how to go about dealing with all of this.

I would take the two remaining birds to the lab tomorrow, and have them posted. Sacrifice two chicks to get the answers you need! Dead birds should be chilled in cold water, wrapped in plastic, and refrigerated, NOT frozen. They can be shipped with ice packs overnight if you are too far to drive them to Kansas State. It's a very sad situation. Mary

Back
Top Bottom