Chicken losing feathers on her face

teria

Songster
8 Years
Apr 26, 2015
Salem Utah
What is wrong with my chicken? She is a 1 year old Salmon Faverolle, and has lost feathers on her face around her beak and just below it. The skin seems inflamed, and just today she started making a kind of wheezy sound when she sqwaks. Normally, she has a scratchy voice and goes on and on. Today she seemed like she was hoarse. Several other of my chickens have small patches around their beaks that are also red and losing feathers.

What is wrong with them?

What is wrong with my chicken? She is a 1 year old Salmon Faverolle, and has lost feathers on her face around her beak and just below it. The skin seems inflamed, and just today she started making a kind of wheezy sound when she sqwaks. Normally, she has a scratchy voice and goes on and on. Today she seemed like she was hoarse. Several other of my chickens have small patches around their beaks that are also red and losing feathers.

What is wrong with them?

Can you post some photos?

You can see some blue kote on her, but, I think you can also see the problem. There is one of my easter eggers in the first pic with the faverolle that is showing some of the same issue. The last pic is of another easter egger also looking similar but only around her beak. I have several that are showing this problem, which makes me think fungal, but, I'm just not sure.

The pictures aren't great, I was using my daughters phone, as mine had a low battery, but, will get better pics tomorrow. I looked at the sites for fowl pox and it doesn't look at all like that. I'm starting to lean more towards a fungal infection, or perhaps, since we live in an area that is getting temps over 90 most days, maybe it is from the heat.

The pictures aren't great, I was using my daughters phone, as mine had a low battery, but, will get better pics tomorrow. I looked at the sites for fowl pox and it doesn't look at all like that. I'm starting to lean more towards a fungal infection, or perhaps, since we live in an area that is getting temps over 90 most days, maybe it is from the heat.
Better photos would help
smile.png

One of the most common fungal infections on combs/wattles is Favus (it usually looks powdery) treatment it usually an anti-fungal cream like what's found in athletes foot cream.

I don't really see a powdery look from what I can tell, so if you have a vet that can take a scraping, they will be able to identify the correct bacterial/fungus and prescribe a better medication than can be found over the counter.

Heat would most like have caused their combs to become pale, you would also see signs of heat exhaustion like panting, laying down with wings spread out, possibly lethargy, not eating, etc.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom