2 vs 2

BethsFlock

In the Brooder
May 21, 2016
San Diego, Ca
Quick question about chicken behavior- I have a cockerel and a pullet I have raised since chicks that are about 9 weeks old. I just got 2 more pullets from the feed store that are roughly the same age (perhaps a week or two younger.) I put them all in the run together and they seem to be doing ok- a peck here and there and the newbies get out of the way for the two I raised. Does aggression normally start right off the bat when introducing chickens or does it ramp up over time? I didn't really realize that I should have kept them seperate at first.

Last edited:
Update. It does seem like they're chasing one of the hens around a bit, but she's still getting to food/water and isn't getting a beat down or anything. Should I be worried and seperate them for the night?

No insight into how chickens typically establish pecking order? They all climbed into the coop for the night. The two OGs are up on the roost and two newbies are sleeping on the floor. I'm thinking since no blood was drawn today, they're going to aclimate ok? Chickens are pretty dumb, though, so maybe it takes a couple days before they realize the don't know each other? I just don't know how chickens generally handle these situations...

If there is plenty of space and a few places to get out of an agressor's line-of-sight, they should be fine. Keep an eye on them for the next day or so. If there isn't any blood drawn, they should be fine.

I put birds of this young age together and apart all the time and don't really have issues. They're babies yet, they are not heavily invested in a pecking order. If they're fine today, they should be good. There will still be a hierarchy established, every group has one. But it doesn't always have to be a big dramatic thing, it's often a subtle natural flow.

Back
Top Bottom